About the Role
We are seeking a Senior Environmental Planner to join our expanding team of professionals. The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $125,000 annually.
• Prepare complex environmental (NEPA) documentation including purpose and need statements, CE, EA, FONSI, EIS, and ROD
• Independently complete technical environmental studies such as CEA, ICE, noise, air, etc.
• Independently lead or oversee aspects of NEPA/project development (e.g. agency coordination, impact analysis, mitigation development, etc.)
• Independently conduct resource agency coordination
• Interpret existing and new regulations, policies, and law
• Conduct high level client and/or agency meetings
• Develop innovative approaches or strategies to solve complex NEPA, agency, or project development issues
• Prepare public involvement and agency coordination plans and lead or assist in preparing and facilitating public and stakeholder engagement activities
• Review engineering plans to ascertain environmental impacts
• Develop strategies and/or alternatives to avoid or minimize impacts to resources or to mitigate unavoidable impacts
• Assist Director of Environment with company or project specific tasks, as needed
• Provide guidance to Environmental Planners (I, II, and III) and assign tasks under direction of the Director, as needed
• Participate in business development tasks including independently holding marketing meetings and attending industry events and conferences on behalf of the company
• Provide effective representation for the company, developing and managing relationships with the client and other applicable authorities
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Email resume and cover letter to Julie Newman, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in environmental planning, environmental science, or a related field
Master’s degree in environmental planning, environmental science, or a related field (degree can be substituted for having 18+ years of practical experience)
10+ years of practical experience in environmental planning
Thorough understanding of environmental regulations such as NEPA, Section 4(f), Section 106, Section 404, Section 7, and Environmental Justice
Experience preparing complex NEPA documents for transportation projects or energy projects
Extensive experience coordinating with local, state, and federal agencies to facilitate environmental review
Experience developing or conducting public and stakeholder engagement
Independent research, data collection, and impact analysis experience
Demonstrated proficiency with technical writing, as well as reviewing and proofreading of materials for content, grammar, and style
Ability to successfully work independently and problem solve
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent time management skills and ability to balance priorities
Ability to make critical decisions with limited guidance while ensuring visibility into those decisions
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience
Certifications focused on specific aspects of environmental planning, transportation planning, or environmental science, etc.
About the Company
Blackwater Environmental Group, a small but growing woman-owned environmental consulting firm located in Baltimore County, MD, provides environmental and planning services focused within the transportation and utility industries. At Blackwater, you will enjoy a flexible, friendly work culture. We offer competitive compensation commensurate with experience as well as a benefits package including health, dental, vision, and company paid short-term disability and life insurance paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with company matching. Blackwater also offers professional development including certifications, advanced education courses, and training.
Blackwater Environmental Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.